Thursday, February 26, 2015

kingsley for a day



Yes, I have a few handknit hats already. But it's darn cold this winter and I needed a tighter, warmer brim (says the knitter looking for a new project). Oh, and I'd been eyeing the Kingsley Hat by Dreareneeknits for a little while and just couldn't resist any longer.

Using Quince & Co's Owl yarn in the lovely Amethyst colourway, the pattern was quick to knit, easy to follow and so far, pretty great to wear. I've found Alpaca itchy before, but not so with this wool/alpaca blend. Though the rustic nature of the wool means the seed stitch pattern is a bit quieter visually, but I quite like the subtlety. And for no clear reason I felt the final hat just needed a dark grey pompom, which my stash came to the rescue for. Stashes are great for that.

On the book front, although I most often share the fiction I'm reading, there are always a few non-fiction books hanging around my bedside. For some reason I'm monogamous with fiction, but not so much with non-fiction. These three represent my current faves: a business book about hiring the right people (Who by Geoff Smart and Randy Street), Patti Smith's autobiographical musings (beautifully titled Woolgathering) and Rebecca Solnit's poetic The Faraway Nearby. All three are unfinished, picked up every now and then when the need for business advice, family insight or moments of beauty arises. 

For more knitting and reading updates, visit today's Yarnalong.

5 comments :

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Nice hat!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Ohhh it looks fabulous! I always need more hats… even if Spring is supposedly coming! Will definitely be adding it to my ravelry queue!

Deborah Guthrie said... [Reply to comment]

Just curious. is there a room in your house full to the ceiling with knitted delights? You sure make wonderful things.

best-essays.co.uk said... [Reply to comment]

That is an absolutely wonderful thing! I extremely love hats with pompons)

harada57 said... [Reply to comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.